Landing the Plane

The bottom line is, you've been flying for a while now, and your only job is to get the plane on the ground.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Landing the Plane

"Graduate school," my wise spouse said to me a couple of days ago, "is like flying a plane. You are the pilot. Of course, ideally you want the flight to be as pleasant as possible, but the bottom line is, you've been flying for a while now, and your only job is to get the plane on the ground."

As corny as it might sound, this analogy has been incredibly useful for me, entering in to what I hope is the last (or, sigh, second to last?) year of a PhD program in the humanities/social sciences. There is no time to go around seeing if everyone's tray tables are in the upright and locked positions; no time to see if anyone wants an extra pack of peanuts. Because now is the time to land the plane.

You could go on forever with the analogy: No one really remembers a bumpy landing as long as they land all right. There will be other flights in the future.

My plan is that the blog will be a useful record of my thoughts during this next year, and a good outlet for anxieties so I can spare said wise spouse (and my many other supportive friends) the full brunt of my craziness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home